First run - day 1

/
0 Comments
Hello

So yesterday I went out for my first run of my marathon training. Maybe a bit late to the game but at the moment I am following the Barnardo's preparation for marathon training plan. This is an 8 week plan designed to get you into running before the real marathon training starts, 16 weeks before the big day. This plan can be found here, it's not the most detailed or advanced plan but it works for me at the moment. When it actually comes to training for the marathon I'm not sure what plan I am going to use. I just want to finish it, I'm not aiming for a time (although the less time spent running the better!), so I may just follow the Barnardo's marathon plan and get my better half to tweak it for me.

Back to yesterday's run. It was miserable here in Glasgow, windy, rainy and from the comfort of my bed it just looked horrible. I was so tempted to stay in bed, even when it got to 1pm I was still in bed! When it comes to running I seriously struggle with motivation, I hate the first 3km, always, I'm not sure why but I do. Anyone else feel this? Today's run was only meant to be 20 minutes, probably only reaching 3km which meant every part of this run was going to be horrible. Perfect reason to stay in bed. However, suddenly remembering the money I have to raise, the people that have already donated and the work Barnardo's do, I hopped out of bed and wrapped up in my warmest running kit, complete with woolly hat. Also, standing in my close I went onto Spotify to find a running playlist, selecting 'shuffle play' on a playlist we had made for our wedding but didn't use, the first song to come on was Run by Snow Patrol! If that's not a sign...




The winter running gear was a bit of a mistake. Although wet and windy, it was a surprising mild day. Here was me in my long leggings, t-shirt, jacket, and woolly hat, and within 3-4 minutes I was roasting! I persevered with the hat however as I had no hair bobble or hair grips and taking it off would mean hair flying everywhere, no thank you! Cheeks were definitely beetroot by the end of the run.

So off I went, just a 20 minute run around my area. Coming out of my street I was faced with two hills, one very steep, one not. Needless to say I chose the easy option, I didn't want to put myself off running for life now! As I said before, I always hate the first 3km or 20 minutes and this run was no different. This run was miserable, I hated every second of it, that is until Stevie Wonder's 'For Once in My Life' came on through my headphones. For some reason, that first few lines made me smile and made the following three minutes actually enjoyable as I ran along singing away to myself. Anyone else find some songs do that when you are running? Not sure who I am asking at the moment as probably no one reads my blog! Anyway, thanks to whoever put that song request down for the wedding, sorry we didn't use it then but it helped me through my first marathon training run!



A wrong turn meant my run was a bit longer than intended and I was proud of myself for not stopping to walk at the 20 minute mark, something I usually do. Not the most exciting of runs but a couple miles down on the marathon road. Lesson learned on day 1, actually check the temperature outside on the forecast before wrapping up in warmest gear!

Vicki x
www.justgiving.com/Vicki-Rennie3


You may also like

No comments:

Popular Posts

Follow